Job Opportunity: Post-Doctoral Researcher (DIGITAX)
Closing date for applications: Sunday, 21st November 2021
The International Centre for Tax and Development is seeking a Post-Doctoral Researcher (PDR) to work on the DIGITAX Programme. The PDR will be responsible for leading both quantitative and qualitative research, primarily under the research component “Assessment of the impact of taxes on Digital financial services and the approach to designing effective taxation, which can impact the development of these markets and financial inclusion”.
Applicants should have a PhD in economics or relevant disciplines along with good and up-to-date knowledge of tax and development, ideally including some knowledge of tax policy in developing countries and/or experience analysing administrative data.
The successful candidate will have excellent analytical, writing and communication skills and be able to work autonomously, with minimal supervision.
A willingness to travel overseas is essential to this role and experience working in countries in the Global South, particularly in Sub-Saharan Africa is highly desirable.
Full-time, fixed term from 01 December 2021 – 30 November 2023.
The position will be primarily based in the UK, but flexibility for overseas candidates will be considered.
£37,362 to £49,384 per annum
• PhD in Economics or relevant discipline;
• Demonstrate appropriate record of academic outputs
• Broad, varied and in-depth knowledge of the theoretical and practical literature on tax and development, ideally including some knowledge of tax policy in developing countries and/or experience analysing administrative data.
• Strong knowledge of econometric methods
• Fluency in spoken and written English
• Excellent analytical, research methods (qualitative and/or quantitative) and writing skills, demonstrated by a record of projects, publications and reports
• Excellent knowledge of basic data analysis in Stata, including experience with large datasets and the production of graphs, tables, etc.
• Ability to translate academic knowledge into policy and practice-relevant outputs
• Strong interpersonal skills, including:
1. Ability to work with researchers from a variety of backgrounds and in a variety of contexts, including overseas
2. Ability to work collaboratively in multi-disciplinary and mixed skill teams (e.g. researchers and practitioners);
3. Skills in negotiation, problem-solving and decision-making
4. Communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-site environment, with lots of interaction online.
• Strong organisational and time management skills, including the ability to manage a complex workload
• Production of teaching materials for post-graduate students
• Use of ICTs for dissemination of research methods and findings
• Spoken and written communication abilities for a range of audiences
• Languages (spoken and read beyond English)
• Substantial work, research and/or programme experience on developing countries or relevant roles
• Experience of production of research outputs, demonstrated by appropriate record of working papers and reports.
• Experience of designing and conducting a research study including secondary and primary research
• Experience of conducting fieldwork in isolated conditions
• Experience of literature review and working with ‘grey literature’
• Experience of data management and analysis
• Ideally some experience working in countries in the Global South, particularly in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Experience in the development of research proposals
• Experience of teaching at university level and development of teaching materials
• Experience of turning research findings into policy-relevant outputs (eg policy briefings; effective communication or dissemination events or products)
• Self-motivated, goal-oriented, enthusiastic and entrepreneurial attitude
• Demonstrated capacity for leadership and innovation in the field
• Commitment to team and collaborative working
• Problem-solving approach
If you are interested in applying for this position, please apply through the IDS jobs portal.
Download the Vacancy Particulars here.
The deadline to apply is 21st November 2021.