Job Opportunity: Communications Assistant
Closing date for applications: Sunday, 21st November 2021
The ICTD is seeking to recruit a Communications Assistant to be responsible for supporting the ICTD team to deliver high quality communications outputs and activities that promote its leading research, policy engagement, and capacity building work.
The post holder will use their excellent communications and organisational skills to provide the full and varied support needed to deliver against the Centre’s goals and objectives.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to get directly involved in a range of communications work, combining good communications skills with a passion for publishing and promoting development research to a wide audience.
This is a full time, fixed-term contract.
We can consider applications for flexible working including hybrid / part remote working from candidates able to work 2 to 3 days per week in the IDS building.
£22,373 to £25, 628 per annum
• A degree and/or training in journalism, communications, international development or relevant areas
• Coursework and/or training in international development, political science, economics, public finance, public policy, or African studies
• A good working knowledge of Microsoft applications (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), including a good understanding and practical experience of using databases, spreadsheets and the Internet
• Understanding of financial spreadsheets in Excel
• Understanding of digital communications tools and methods (i.e newsletters, social media, etc.)
• Knowledge and interest in international development issues including taxation for development
• Grasp of design principles for print and electronic media
• Knowledge and skills of audio / visual editing and related software including Canva, Adobe Premiere Pro, InDesign, Photoshop
• Knowledge and skills in publishing research papers and other academic publications
• Experience of using MailChimp, Word Press, Google Analytics and Yoast
• Website management skills
• Strong all-round communication skills, including an eye for detail and clear and effective writing
• Ability to craft effective social media posts and manage social media accounts
• Strong interpersonal skills including working sensitively with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
• Strong organisational skills
• Editing and proofreading
• Graphic design
• Multimedia skills including video and audio editing production
• Skills in a language other than English, ideally one spoken in Africa or South Asia
• Experience of communications or marketing work
• Experience of editorial and publications processes
• Experience in organising or supporting online or in-person events E A/I
• Experience in volunteering or working overseas, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Experience of working in communications in the research or non-profit sectors D A/I
• A team player with energy, enthusiasm, flexibility and a “can-do” attitude to work.
• A highly organised self-starter with an ability to work to deadlines by setting priorities and managing work loads
• Diligent and meticulous, with a conscientious approach to work and attention to detail.
• Interest in global development and issues of justice equality
• Respectful and gracious to colleagues and partners
If you are interested in applying for this position, please apply through the IDS jobs portal.
Download the Vacancy Particulars here.
The deadline to apply is 21st November 2021.