IBP Recruiting Director of Tax Equity
The International Budget Partnership (IBP) is currently seeking a Director of Tax Equity to join their team. This newly-created position will have responsibility for developing and managing a new high priority and cross organizational initiative at the IBP. Based on an in-depth scoping of the field, IBP is looking to establish an initiative that will ensure that developing countries raise the additional resources required to drive development in ways that promote greater equity; and that meaningful opportunities are created by country governments to engage civil society in these decisions.
The program has received start-up support from the Gates Foundation and will focus primarily on building civil society tax analysis and advocacy capacity initially in a small number of developing countries, as well as on persuading international actors and country governments of the benefits of effectively including civil society in tax policy decision-making. This work responds to the growing global consensus of the importance of tax policy for advancing democratic governance, addressing social inequalities, and combatting climate change.
This is an opportunity for a tax policy expert and civil society advocate with the vision and ambition to establish a new program in the leading international civil society organization focusing on fiscal accountability. The successful candidate will steer the direction of this new programmatic vision, working across the organization, to ensure that tax policy in developing countries contributes to fiscal sustainability, equity, and poverty reduction.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Author, direct, and refine IBP’s vision and strategy for work on tax
- Ensure that strategic planning and priority setting for the tax initiative best contributes to the realization of IBP’s mission and overall strategy
- Manage research, capacity building, and advocacy projects that make up the tax initiative
- Select, hire and direct the work of other tax staff
- Coordinate with all other IBP teams to advance the impact of the tax initiative across the organization
- Lead outreach and communications with partners in civil society and international institutions working on tax
- Monitor progress and effectively address challenges encountered during implementation of the tax initiative
- Work with the Strategy and Learning Team to develop a framework, including a monitoring and evaluation plan, to guide and evaluate the initiative
- Work with the Executive Director and Development Director in securing resources needed for IBP to build its tax work
- Provide leadership to IBP as a whole through membership of the IBP Strategic and Executive Leadership Teams
- Support the Executive Director and other IBP leadership in managing relations with the Board of Trustees and external stakeholders, as appropriate
- The ideal candidate must hold a Master’s degree in economics, political science or related fields.
- In-depth perspective and understanding of the political economy of tax policy and systems, with a preference for candidates that understand these systems in both developed and developing countries
- 8-10 years of experience working in the tax field, including time working in civil society and/or government and international institutions
- 8 – 10 years of experience in developing, implementing and managing programs that support civil society organizations to engage and advocate for greater transparency, accountability, and participation in policy decisions
- Exposure to international and country-based tax actors and networks
Political and Analytical Skills
- Strategic thinker, exceptional analytical and data analysis skills; strong experience in identifying and addressing problems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; high-level ability to communicate effectively with partners, colleagues, consultants, and representatives of government, multilateral organizations, and other donors
- Strong interpersonal and management relationship skills and the ability to thrive in and contribute to a culture of collaboration and teamwork in a diverse work environment
- A high level of organization; a strong ability to prioritize tasks to meet multiple deadlines and to develop a new area of work
- Ability to establish, maintain and grow networks
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office package required; proficiency with other specialist software applications desirable
- Vision and ambition to build a new initiative in a leading international NGO, specializing in public finance accountability
- Passion for using analysis and advocacy to drive real change for poor and marginalized communities in developing countries
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to and passion for IBP’s mission
- Highly flexible and adaptable to shifting environments and works well under pressure
- Motivated to learn and willing to contribute to learning initiatives
- Duties are generally carried out in a normal business office environment – i.e., working while sitting at a desk, at a computer, for extended periods of time
- Position is based in IBP’s DC Headquarters, though a remote work arrangement may be possible for a highly qualified candidate
Apply for the position here.