The Second Annual Meeting of the Ethiopian Tax Research Network was held on October 8th at the Capital Hotel in Addis Ababa. The ETRN brings together stakeholders with an interest in taxation in Ethiopia and supports the generation and exchange of tax knowledge.
The ICTD is pleased to announce that the Ethiopian Development Research Institute (EDRI) is now the official host of the Ethiopian Tax Research Network, which is funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and coordinated by the ICTD. EDRI’s Executive Director, Dr Yohannes Ayalew, opened the meeting with a speech.
As Dr Yohannes Ayalew said, “Tax revenue collection is fundamental for financing the Sustainable Development Goals, reducing poverty, and promoting economic growth. I believe the ETRN is a crucial resource as we endeavour to improve tax administration and tax policy in Ethiopia, as it brings together the key Ethiopian institutions active in this area, as well as a broader network of experts, both Ethiopian and international.”
The keynote address was delivered jointly by Ms Milly Nalukwago Isingoma, (Assistant Commissioner for Research, Planning and Development of the Uganda Revenue Authority) and Mr Denis Mukama (Acting Deputy Commissioner for Research and Planning of the Rwanda Revenue Authority), who spoke about the benefits of collaboration between researchers and tax administrations. The afternoon featured presentations of six research projects funded by the ETRN and conducted in the last year.
You can view the full programme for the meeting here.
Presentations from the event are available on the ICTD Slideshare page. Individual presentations are available using the links below (please note research presentations are based on draft reports):
- Overview of the ETRN’s First Year of Activities by Girma Gebretsadik
- Turnover-Based Presumptive Taxation and Taxpayers Perceptions in Ethiopia by Abis Getachew
- Where the Gap Lay: Presumptive Income Tax Assessment for Micro and Small Enterprises a Case Study in Addis Ababa City Administration by Amanuel Mekonnen and Endalkachew Mulugeta
- Perception of Value Added Tax Compliance in Ethiopia: Filing and Invoicing by Gebregziabher G/Tsadik, Assefa Gezae and Worku Tamrie
- Practices, Challenges and Prospects of Public Sector Taxation in Ethiopia by Sebsbie Fekade, Ansakech Lake and Ronald Waiswa
- An Assessment of ERCA’s Taypayer Education Programs and How They Can Be Improved by Azime A. Hassen