AFRICAN TAX RESEARCH NETWORK (ATRN) 4th Annual Congress
Theme: The role of the social and political environment in strengthening tax systems in Africa: Solutions to tax collection
Venue: Morocco, 10 – 12 September 2018
The African Tax Research Network (ATRN) is pleased to invite submissions for the 4th ATRN Annual Congress, which presents an opportunity for academics, researchers, tax administrators, students, tax practitioners, consultants and decision-makers on fiscal and tax policy in Africa, to gather and discuss different aspects relating to national, regional and international tax matters.
Suggested topics of interest to be covered under the main theme include:
• Political Context
• Cultural Context
• Curbing IFFs in Africa
• Subnational government finance
Please refer to the 2018 ATRN Call for Papers Indicative Topics document for sample ATRN Congress Topics related to themes listed above
While the theme of the Congress is A Modern and Effective Taxation System to advance Domestic Resource Mobilization in Africa: The Role of Information Technology and Tax Information Exchange, contributed papers on any topic in taxation in Africa will be considered.
Types of Submissions
The ATRN Scientific Committee invites submissions of papers for oral presentation at the Annual Congress in two major categories:
• Academic papers: These papers will be peer-reviewed by members of the Scientific Committee. If accepted, they will be invited to be presented at the ATRN Annual Congress.
• Presentations based on non-academic papers: This category covers Policy Briefs, Best Practices, and Short Case Studies.
After the ATRN Annual Congress in September, researchers are invited to submit their revised and final papers for consideration for publication in the ATRN Working Paper Series and Policy Briefs. These papers will be submitted to a double-blind Peer-review process. The deadline for paper submission will be in November. The papers may subsequently be published in peer-reviewed journals. Papers are accepted both in English and in French.
- A separate submission of a title page and manuscript (anonymous) will be required
- Notification of acceptance of full-length papers will be sent to authors via email after a double-blind peer-review process by 15 June 2018.
- All manuscripts submitted will be required to meet the formatting guidelines for manuscripts as set in the ATRN web page.
- Unlike preceding years, any papers not meeting the minimum requirements will be rejected. The link for paper submission will be open from 16 February 2018
- A special recognition for high quality papers will be conferred through a Best Paper Award Program.
- A short CV must accompany each submission.
- Researchers based in Africa are especially encouraged to respond.
Registration opens: 16 February 2018
Deadline for early-bird registration and payment: 13 July 2018
Deadline for standard registration and payment: 10 August 2018
- Early-bird member registration fee: US$ 150
- Early-bird non-member registration fee: US$ 240
- Standard member registration fee: US$ 200
- Standard non-member registration fee: US$ 300
- Post-graduate student registration fee: US$ 100*
1. Cancellations received by e-mail to [email protected] before 10 August 2018 will incur a 20% cancellation charge.
2. Cancellations received from 10 August 2018 onwards will incur a 100% cancellation penalty. For more information on the Scientific Committee, the Annual Congress Venue and Congress Fees, or if you are interested inattending the Annual Congress without delivering a paper, please visit the ATRN web page: http://atrnafrica.org/ All submission, registration and other enquiries related to the 4th ATRN Annual Congress may be addressed to: Conference Organisers
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +27 12 451 8834
+27 12 451 8810
+27 12 451 8820