In partnership with the Ethiopian Revenue and Customs Authority (ERCA), the ICTD hosted its third annual workshop on research methods and dissemination. The 19 participants were selected based on their submission of either a draft research paper or a detailed proposal for research on a tax and development issue. The participants represented several African countries: Ethiopia, Somaliland, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Malawi, Nigeria, and Tanzania.
The course covered:
- Qualitative research designs and methods including interviews, participant observation and archival research
- Strengths and limitations of qualitative research methods
- Research ethics
- Designing surveys and experiments
- Deciding on sample size and stratification
- Analysing data
Publication and Dissemination
- Factors to take into account when preparing for publishing in academic journals or submitting working papers
- Dealing with reviewers’ comments and rejections
- Articulating the significance of the research
- Disseminating research to a wider audience through policy briefs and blogs
Stay tuned for the next edition of the course in 2019!