Call for Papers: 3rd African Tax Research Network Congress
Deadline for final submission of full research papers is June 9th.
A Modern and Effective Taxation System to Advance Domestic Resource Mobilization in Africa: The Role of Information Technology and Tax Information Exchange
4 – 6 September 2017, Madagascar
The African Tax Administration Forum (ATAF) and the African Tax Research Network (ATRN) are pleased to invite submissions for the 3rd ATRN Annual Congress, which presents an opportunity for academics, researchers, tax administrators, students, tax practitioners, consultants and decision-makers on fiscal and tax policy in Africa, to gather and discuss different aspects relating to national, regional and international tax matters.
We seek high-quality submissions that further the knowledge and understanding of national, regional and international tax matters.
Prospective authors, both academics and practitioners, are invited to submit original and innovative papers on any topic related to this broad theme. Suggested topics of interest to be covered under the main theme include:
- Digital Solutions for leapfrogging taxation development in Africa: the role of Technology in the administration of taxation
- Role of information exchange and its effective application for tax transparency in Africa
- Skills of the 21st Century Tax administrators in Africa: how do universities and tax administrations keep pace?
- Good governance and fiscal legitimacy in Africa
- Redirecting international development assistance towards investments in effective taxation systems in Africa
- Understanding local government taxation in Africa to increase public service delivery, representation, and governance
- Strengthening tax administrations in Africa: the role of tax policy & stakeholder collaboration
- African tax reforms and their revenue impact
- Tax policy reforms in Africa and their developmental impact
- Cross border taxation issues in Africa
Types of Submissions
The ATRN scientific committee invites submissions of papers for oral presentation at the Annual Congress in two major categories:
- Academic papers: These papers will be peer-reviewed by members of the Scientific Committee. If accepted, they will be invited to be presented at the ATRN Annual Congress.
- Presentations based on non-academic papers: This category covers policy briefs, best practices, and short case studies.
After the ATRN Annual Congress in September, researchers are invited to submit their revised and final papers for consideration for publication in the ATRN Working Paper Series and Policy Briefs. These papers will be submitted to a double-blind Peer-review process. The deadline for paper submission will be in November. The papers may subsequently be published in peer-reviewed journals.
Papers are accepted both in English and in French.
Important Dates and Deadlines
Deadline for paper submissions:
Deadline for final submission of full research papers: 9 June 2017
- A separate submission of a title page and manuscript (anonymous) will be required
- Notification of acceptance of full-length papers will be sent to authors via email after a double-blind peer-review process by 30 June 2017.
- All manuscripts submitted will be required to meet the formatting guidelines for manuscripts as set in the ATRN webpage. Unlike preceding years, any papers not meeting the minimum requirements will be rejected. The link for paper submission will be open from 03 March 2017
- A special recognition for high quality papers will be conferred through a Best Paper Award Program.
- A short CV must accompany each submission.
- Researchers based in Africa are especially encouraged to respond.
Registration fees and deadline:
Registration opens: 03 March 2017
Deadline for early-bird registration and payment: 14 July 2017
Deadline for standard registration and payment: 04 August 2017
- Early-bird member registration fee: US$ 150
- Early-bird non-member registration fee: US$ 240
- Standard member registration fee: US$ 200
- Standard non-member registration fee: US$ 300
- Post-graduate student registration fee: US$ 100*
* Post-graduate student registration fee applies throughout the registration period; however, a proof of registration
will be required. Please note that all Post-graduate students are required to be members of the ATRN. Please visit the ATRN website for more information about ATRN mbership and benefits.
For more information on sample topics for papers, the Scientific Committee, the Annual Congress Venue and Congress Fees, or if you are interested in attending the Annual Congress without delivering a paper, please visit the ATRN web page: http://atrnafrica.org/
All submission, registration and other enquiries related to 3rd ATRN Annual Congress may be addressed to:
Telephone: +27 12 451 8834
+27 12 451 8810
+27 12 451 8820