Closing date for applications: Sunday, 31st October 2021
The International Centre for Tax and Development is seeking to appoint a Project Research Officer. The Project Research Officer will work on the DIGITAX Programme and will contribute to innovative and high-quality research on taxing digital financial services and the use of technology in tax administration.
The Research Officer will be required to support with quantitative analysis, data cleaning, literature reviews and conducting a range of desk-based and some field-based research.
Applicants will have a post graduate qualification along with excellent analytical and synthesis skills and experience in econometrics, development macro and microeconomics and public economics research methods. Experience of conducting research in a developing country is essential and ideally this would be in African countries.
25/10/2021 – 28/09/23
This is a full time, fixed-term contract.
We can consider applications for flexible working including hybrid / part remote working from candidates able to work 2 to 3 days per week in the IDS building.
• A postgraduate degree related to the subject area, or equivalent work experience
• Good knowledge and understanding of current issues and debates in international development
• Excellent/Good knowledge and understanding of current issues and debated in subject area
• Excellent analytical and synthesis skills
• Experience in econometrics, development macro and microeconomics and public economics research methods
• Excellent English writing and editing skills, including the ability to tailor material for different formats (web, email, etc) and communicate specialist knowledge in non-technical language.
• Ability to assimilate complex research or other relevant material quickly, assess its merits, and draw out key messages and implications for policy and practice
• Strong all-round communication skills for a range of audiences
• Strong organisational and time management skills
• Proficiency at using the internet for research
• Negotiation skills and the ability to manage client expectations
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent presentation skills
• Other, eg a language requirement• Networking skills
• Experience undertaking research in a developing country
• Experience of working in an development or humanitarian research role
• Experience of undertaking literature reviews, evidence syntheses, semi-structured interviews, and data analysis involving multiple data sources and types
• Experience with qualitative and / or quantitative research methods
• Experience of tailoring material for different formats such as web copy, blogs and newsletters. E A/I
• Experience conducting research in African countries
• Experience in a research assistance role
• Project Management
• Budget tracking
• Experience in preparing web copy, including articles, blogs and newsletters
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet frequent strict deadlines
• Ability to prioritise, manage and deliver a range of conflicting immediate and longer term priorities
• Ability to plan and work on your own initiative, taking responsibility for areas of work in a proactive and independent manner
• Attention to detail and pride in presentation and communication
• Demonstrable ability to thrive on team-working
• Ability to work collaboratively in multi-disciplinary and mixed skill teams and with researchers from a variety of backgrounds and in a variety of contexts
• Willingness to undertake travel within the UK and internationally
If you are interested in applying for this position, please apply through the IDS jobs portal.
Download the Vacancy Particulars here.
The deadline to apply is 31st October 2021.